1.30.2008

Keeping it Real

Up Through Episode 55: "React Quotes"
I was sorry to watch this episode solo (I mean I watched it with two people, but one was buying shirts online and the other just started watching a few months ago, so you know what I mean) I agree that it was quite jam-packed, and also that it was pretty freakin awesome. The Clay Davis media campaign and support rally was SO Marion Barry, it really rang true, and Dookie's dilemma is my new favorite narrative metaphor for the entire show. (also maybe a good band name...) How do you get to the rest of the world from here? Sheeeit, I don't know....

The moment that really got me, maybe the best moment ever in the best show ever, was Bubs' face when Waylon told him he was negative. Everyone loves to compare The Wire to Homicide, but for me the deeper connection is to The Corner. The way that show dealt with addiction was real in a way that almost overcame the cruddy production values and lackluster acting. I guess the flaws just made it more real in way - honest in a way that was hard to look at.

Anyway, when Bubs went looking for Waylon in what looked like the same crab joint that featured prominently in the rehab attempts of the main character of The Corner, I knew that shit was about to get REAL. When they had an entire conversation about what Bugs needed to do without saying "AIDS test" I knew that the between-the-lines writing that is one of my favorite parts of The Wire was back in a way that it hasn't been so far this season. The real kicker was that Waylon's reaction to Bubs' inability to deal with the good news was to keep it real and yell at him a little bit. It made me cry it was so real, which is what the whole show is about for me.

So yeah, the exploits of the two bushy-topped prevaricators and Herc's plan to get revenge for the Fuzzy Dunlop debacle (band name #2?) were intriguing for sure, and when Omar jumped out the window I stopped breathing for a minute, and I definitely lost a little sleep wondering if I caught a glimpse of Dookie with a gun during the shoot out, but it's Bubs thats keeping me going right now, and I kind of feel like whatever happens to him will be the real resolution of the show for me. After all, he's the Greek chorus, right? Doesn't that mean he's up there standing in for all of us and doing all that catharsis stuff (isn't there another -arthis too?)In keeping with the Shakespearean theme, he's the Falstaff of this little world - addict, schemer, wise old man. To paraphrase the Bard himself.. "banish Bubs and banish all the world..."

No comments: